View the embedded image gallery online at:.
Camp Cosmos provides a summer of enchanting discoveries to children from diverse cultural backgrounds including First Nations – turning downtown Montreal into a ‘kid friendly zone’!
In addition to our downtown site, we opened up a second Camp Cosmos on Montreal's West Island.
In 2018, our two sites welcomed 150 children - up from 121 in 2017!!
Many of our families are on a low, fixed income and are newly arrived refugees or single-parents. Music, athletics, ecology, yoga, science and much more are all on the menu.
In existence for over forty years, Camp Cosmos enjoys an excellent reputation in the community for innovative programming and high quality staff. Camp Cosmos runs for 6 weeks from July to early August, offering places for children between 5 and 12.
Camp Cosmos is an accredited as a Quality Family Camp by the City of Montreal, meeting high standards in the areas of programming, staff training, security and administration
Fee: sliding scale - base fee of 50$ per week along with a sliding scale: see www.campcosmos.org for details
We are an eco-friendly camp! Environmental education is a fundamental part of all we do. We make sure to minimize our ecological footprint by reusing, reducing, recycling and composting during camp. Our campers learn about environmental responsibility through ecological games, organic gardening, outings in nature and visits to local farms. Camp Cosmos Counsellors also set a positive example, showing ways of making sustainable decisions on a daily basis.
We are a camp that celebrates diversity! Camp Counsellors host an array of activities that shed light on the importance of multiculturalism. Our programming is geared towards creating awareness of diversity in all of its forms, discussing issues such as human rights, mutual respect and active listening. Our camp strives to bridge the gap between cultural backgrounds, finding commonalities and celebrating uniqueness.
- Daily circle time to welcome children, review guidelines and orient them to the daily program;
- Swimming once weekly;
- Weekly day-long outing to outdoor places of interest (Bio-dome, Olympic park, farm visits);
- Arts and crafts;
- Music and theatre;
- Visits to local museums, cultural centres and other places of interest;
- Thematic days held in local parks;
- Daily snacks provided;
- Closing talent show for parents and sponsors.
- All activities are conducted in both French and English
The Counsellor-in-Training (CIT) Program welcomes adolescents from families on low income between the ages of 14 and 17 (nine available spaces). Campers benefit from the competence, kindness and hard work of these young adolescents, who, in turn, also receive a very positive and empowering first job experience. Campers graduate from the camp program, enroll as Counsellors-in-Training and may eventually be hired as a full-fledged counsellors and leaders of the Camp Cosmos team.
- The participants in this program receive
- A small honorarium ($75.00 per week)
- Five days of intensive training before camp start up
- Weekly check-in meetings with CIT coordinator
- CIT workshops every Friday with the CIT coordinator
- Practical work experience with children
- Experience working with children who have special needs
- Supervision and encouragement
- A certificate of completion
Learn more about Camp Cosmos, register your child or apply for the CIT program at www.campcosmos.org
Registration for the 2019 season will begin on April 1st 2019