Please note that the MCM office has moved back into the St. James United Church building: 1440 St-Alexandre, 3rd floor
WHO WE ARE:
The Just Solutions Clinic provides free legal information and assistance*, rights advocacy and accompaniment to vulnerable and disadvantaged individuals in the domain of refugee and immigration law. Just Solutions has developed a solid reputation as an important access to justice initiative in this domain, as a large proportion of our target population cannot afford, or are denied, the kinds of services the Clinic provides.
Just Solutions is also a teaching environment. Our team consists of staff and student interns from the McGill's Law Faculty and School of Social Work. Their casework is guided and informed by the clinic’s co-coordinators, Yolaine Williams and Andrea Dawes, and our supervising lawyer, Me Rick Goldman.
WHO WE HELP:
The majority of the people we assist are refugee claimants and other newcomers with a precarious immigration status. We also help social and health professionals and community workers understand their clients' immigration situations.
HOW DO WE HELP:
1) INFORMATION (via individual consultations) on the following subjects:
- Refugee claim process and recourses following a refusal (including humanitarian and compassionate applications for permanent residence)
- Family reunification applications for accepted refugees
- Sponsorship breakdowns due to domestic violence
- Rules governing permanent residence applications in the above categories
PLEASE NOTE THAT WE DO NOT:
- Provide information on economic immigration applications (skilled worker, temporary foreign worker)
- Represent clients before any tribunals or courts of law
- Provide assistance with filling in forms (some exceptions apply)
*Please note that a fee will apply to filling in certain forms, depending on certain criteria. Please call us for details.
If we do not offer the particular service you need or you are not part of our target population, we can orient and refer you to the appropriate resource (legal representation, assistance filling in forms, apartment and job search services, emergency food and shelter, etc.).
HOW TO CONTACT US:
Please note that you must call or e-mail to make an appointment before coming to the clinic.
- Phone: (514) 844-9128, ext. 201 or ext. 204
Hours of Operation: Monday – Tuesday – Thursday (subject to change!) 9:00-4:30
Temporary office location: 451 Ste-Catherine street west, suite 203
Mailing address: 1435 rue City Councillors, Montreal, QC, H3A 2E4
- New refugee determination process: Canadian Council for Refugees: Bill C-31 changes to the refugee determination system and a "Legal Aid Ontario" resource for refugee claimants living in Ontario: lawfacts.ca
- Social benefits and entitlements based on immigration status: Immigrants’ and Refugees' Access to Social Benefits and Programs in Quebec Guide for Community Workers (produced and published by Community Legal Services of Point St. Charles and Little Burgundy in 2010 – some information may have changed)
- Contact info for Quebec legal aid office Immigration Section - 440 Boul. Rene-Levesque west, Suite 1001, Tel: 514-849-3671